Welcome to Japan
Backcountry guiding beyond your expectations
For 2020 winter, by popular demand...
I'll mostly be offering guiding away from Hakuba's booming foreign backcountry crowds. You will be based in Japanese Ryokan style accommodation where we will access the backcountry from the roadside, or quite often, from the front door of the Ryokan. No ski resorts at all. The accommodation focus is on an intense Japanese cuisine-cultural experience, and volcanic hotsprings.
My Intro to BC tour is designed to be easy, so please don't be scared of joining in.
The below tours are open for bookings and are filling fast. The remainder of my time is taken up with private bookings and instructing avalanche courses. Please do not miss out on what remains available.
Avalanche Skills Training
My AST avalanche training courses have a hard-earned reputation as being the best quality in Japan. And I try to live up to it every single time.
AST Level 1
AST Level 2
More advanced training
Hakuba MountainLife Guiding
Lead Guide, Instructor, Owner
- ACMG Ski Guide (Association of Canadian Mountain Guides)
- Professional Member of the Canadian Avalanche Association
- Licensed Avalanche Canada AST Level 1 and 2 course provider
- 80 hour Wilderness First Aid training recertified every 2 years
- Heliski guide in New Zealand.
A little bit more:
- Postgraduate education in Economics. Some miliatary experience.
- Enjoys intelligent conversation in the backcountry.
Recent Blog Posts
Posted on Aug 17, 2018
Posted on Jul 9, 2018
Posted on May 17, 2018
Posted on Dec 2, 2017
Posted on Nov 17, 2017
Posted on Aug 1, 2016
Posted on Jul 9, 2016
Posted on Jun 26, 2016
Posted on Jun 19, 2016