Our advanced tour
A personal favorite. I'll take you on big professionally guided backcountry days, some outside Hakuba. Some in places I seldom get to visit myself. This one is the real deal for backcountry tours and adventure in Japan.
What's it about?
This is the best guided backcountry tour in Japan. The Explorer Week is hard but fun work and you should expect 5-6 hours skinning every day. If you just want to ski the most easy-access powder possible in the week, then this tour is not
for you. Our mindset will be mission-driven: out of the 5 days, you should be happy if we nail two days with great conditions. One other day might be a miss, and the other few days good but not perfect. That's what kind of tour this is. Past customers have been extremely happy with this kind of outcome.
- Suitable for advanced skiers/riders and those with advanced to expert backcountry experience. Please read our skill and experience definitions before signing up for a tour.
Who does it suit?
Anyone who wants to follow a backcountry guide who is hard at work. Who wants to take it up a level, get out of Hakuba, explore new places and can accept that not every day will work out perfectly.
We are looking for experienced and fit people who are good at using their gear. Splitboarders have to be very experienced, which means being familiar with locking your heels and skiing in split-mode through rolling or very low angle sections of terrain when required.
Rescue Insurance, Cancellation and Ability
Comprehensive mountain rescue insurance is compulsory. For more important info on that topic, and our cancellation policy, please see below, or here.
We'll all meet on the first morning of the tour in Hakuba. Some days during the week might start very early with a 6am departure from Hakuba to visit another location. Your accommodation should be able to supply breakfast for you at early hours. We may even consider staying away one night in another town to reduce travel and facilitate access to some good areas if the conditions are on. If this happens, everyone would have to pay an additional 10,000-15,000 yen for accommodation.
- 5 days of professional guiding with an ACMG qualified Ski Guide and a tail guide.
- Compulsary personal mountain rescue insurance (see below).
- Transport before and after the tour. You have to get yourself to Hakuba.
Never go hungry. It has long been our tradition to supply complimentary packed lunches on our backcountry tours. This is to help those without access to kitchens or shops (Hakuba is very spread out). This is a complimentary service, but if you are staying in self contained accommodation, or have easy access to shops, or have special dietary needs then please supply your own backcountry lunches.
A detailed gear list will be provided after booking. In the meantime, please consider the following.
- 3-antenna digital beacon, and a proper avalanche shovel and probe.
- Touring skis or a splitboard. No snow shoes, sorry.
- 30-40 liter backcountry-specific backpack capable of carrying your skis or snowboard. Smaller packs are too small, and that includes most rental packs.
- Warm down or synthetic puffy jacket that can be worn over your shell jacket. A combination of lighter jacket and vest is also a good option.
- Ski crampons
This tour is for people with a lot of backcountry experience, and therefore it is asumed that you would already own everything required for the job, including appropriate layering. If you don't, then maybe this tour is not right for you.